Re: bmw-digest V9 #690 P S Black Particles

In a message dated 12/14/98 07:16:43 Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Mon, 14 Dec 98 04:13:05 -0700
 From: "S. Cooperman" <bullseye@domain.elided>
 Subject: <all>  Black PS fluid

 When I noticed that my power steering fluid had black particulates
 suspended in it I replaced the fluid.  My question is where did the black
 particulates come from?  Did the fluid break down?  Is this little parts
 of PS pump, or are the insides of the rubber hoses disintegrating from
 the inside out?  Does anybody know where the black particulates came from?

 Thanks,

 Steve Cooperman
 Tucson, Arizona
 Sonora Chapter

It is likely that the black particles are from seal-grommets or hoses.  I had
the same type of particulate matter in my brake fluid reservoir.  It was from
the two seal-grommets  between the plastic reservoir and the master cylinder.
$8 and 30 minutes to disassemble clean and reassemble.  The pieces were 13
years old and apparently don't last forever.  ...Chas.
'83 633CSi
'85 528e
'88 735i
BMWCCA #44835