Speedometer!

I have posted this question before but here it goes again.

My speedometer wasn't working at all sometime last year.  I was able to get
a new(used) instrument cluster.  It worked fine for a few weeks but then the
cluster went dead except for the RPM gauge.  The original cluster nothing
worked except for the speedometer.  I thought that if I switched the
speedometer unit into the cluster that had the RPM gauge working it would be
ok, but the speedometer doesn't work and now the temp gauge is not working
either.  What I'm trying to get at is.  Could it be the battery?  Is it
because the battery doesn't have enough juice to power up everything?  Or
could it be the actual cables?  I have 3 cables with white, blue, and yellow
connectors on them, how hard is it to replace such a cable?
I wouldn't mind it so much but the temp gauge happens to be something I
really need.

Please Help,
Renato Gravato
1987 BMW 325(180K, JC, K+N)