<E28>Help with manual transmission rebuild.

Hi all,

My transmission was making noise for a wile.  Lately it got worse and I
decided that it is time to rebuild it.  I am planning to use my friends
shop, which is reasonably good equipped.  I am looking for any suggestion on
this procedure. Major difficulties, part sources, recommended repairs (while
you are there), and so on.  I do have Bentley manual, but it is always very
helpful to hear from other BMW technicians, enthusiasts, and so forth.

Sasha.
533i, 221,000 miles.
BMW CCA #143384
Richmond, California