BWA wheel saga

Hi Digesters,

At the advice of several respected Bimwads, I think I'll keep the wheels
I recently acquired (14x6 BWA, 4x100 et22) for track wheels for my '74
2002.  As they are old, and not in great condition (clear coat chipping
off in many places, etc) I'd like to strip them and refinish.  Since the
whole idea was to do this on the cheap, I'm asking for suggestions on
how I can take them back down to bare metal in the comfort of my own
home.
I progressed through soap and water, nylon scrub pad, brass brush, steel
brush, alcohol, mineral spirits, Carbo-Sol, and have spent a lot of time
with a putty knife and 00 steel wool, but I am still left with patches
of the original finish that are clinging with no sign of giving up!
Surely some of you have just "ruined" a wheel with a "bad" process -
that's what I'm looking for!  Furniture stripper?  Leave wheel cleaner
on for hours?  Sandblast?  I'm open to suggestions here.  TIA

Dave Y (caveat emptor)
p.s. Thanks to Phil M, Jerry C, and Jefrem I (Jefrem, your return E-mail
address bounced back, but thanks)