High octane fuel

Kent Shaw writes:

> Make sure that your compression ratio can accommodate > high octane
fuel else detonation may cause engine
> damage and I don't want to be responsible!

Eh?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole purpose of
high-octane fuel is to combat detonation.  Or, put another way, it's
harder to ignite a high-octane fuel than a low-octane fuel.
Reasonable compression ratios (read: stock) can use almost any octane
fuel...when you start getting to crazy high ratios, you need to go to
a higher octane.

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce