<E30> M3 stereo questions

I have a '91 M3 with the stock stereo and I am not very happy with it.
I am not terribly demanding with car stereos, but would like it to
sound nice.  I was in fact fine with my '97 318ti's stereo.  The M3
has the tweeters in the side mirrors and AFAIK the footwell speakers
in the front and rear shelf speakers.  My big limitation is money.
Has anyone upgraded the speakers and not the head unit?  My car
already has the 6-CD changer.

Also, how do you replace the side mirror tweeters?

Thanks!

- -Ken ;   Salem, MA
'91 M3
'97 318ti Sport, RIP....