re: chains

Carlos Lopez, Seattle ask about experience with chains:

Carlos,
I don't have an M car, but have put many miles on various cars in the
snow, with chains and without, although I'm sure not nearly as much as
any midwesterner.  A good set of snow tires should greatly limit your
need to use chains, but if the going gets tough, it sure is prudent to
be prepared.

I have been too cheap to get snow wheels and tires for my 535is, so got
some premium cable chains:  Security Chain Co. "Z-Chains".  These have a
zig-zag configuration for better latteral stability, and a stiff wire
inner loop for ease of installation and removal.  I've been using them
for 5 years now, with no wear or breakage problems.  They have proven
very good at providing traction in deep heavy snow, including the 18
inch snow storm in Seattle two years ago.  I got around just fine in
that mess, once other traffic knocked the snow below the air dam level.
The down side with these is that they are tough to start from stop on
hard ice or graveled bare patches, but no more so than any other cable
type chain.  If you have studded snows as well, just take the chains off
when bare spots first appear, and you won't have this problem.

As with any chains, get them on as snug as possible, drive a block, and
tighten them more.  Use chain tighteners as long as recommended by the
mfr.  If you hear one clunk, stop and check/tighten.  I believe broken
chains are most often the result of insufficient tightening or failure
to recognize a twist or inversion of the chains when installing.

Also, if you do have snow tires a bit narrower than the summer tires you
will allow more clearance for the chains.

One of the BMW ACA guys I talked to recently says he has found a set of
"diamond pattern" chains imported from Germany that he aquired for a
Mercedes SUV.  Anyone know more about those?

Steve Poland
'88 535is
Portland, OR