trunk tie anchors

Michiel van Wessem asked for suggestions on how to secure tool chest in
trunk.

Michiel, I too cannot stand the idea of  items flying around in the
trunk.  I have used stainless steel "eye straps" (sailboat hardware)
from West Marine (www.westmarine.com) or most boating stores, and use
either stainless sheet metal screws, or aluminum pop-rivets, to place
these tie down points around the trunk perimeter at selected points.
The two rear corners are the most used, however for a heavy tool box you
will want it forward.  Place the straps up from the floor of the trunk
by 4 to 6 inches.  You will have to carefully slit the trunk liner after
installation to make the strap accessible.

Bungees are ok for grocery containment, or returning  your Rolling Rock
bottles to the store.  (Why don't you guys know about real beer, like
our Oregon microbrews? - Widmer Bros India Pale Ale and Heffewizen,
Deschutes Black Butte Porter, there must be at least 50  old world
recipe and original varieties available here).  ... but I digress.

For your heavy necesseties I find the spring loaded cam buckle utility
straps ideal.  They are available at any auto speciaty place.  Don't
waste your time or money on the ratchet type, those mechanisms are
ridiculously cumbersom to operate.  By the way, the utility strap hooks
are about 5/16" to 3/8" diameter, so it takes one of the larger size ss
straps to hook them into, especially because of the trunk liner
thickness which reduces the usable strap opening depth.

Hope this helps,

Steve Poland
'88 535is
Portland, Or