Re: <E30> How to secure tool chest in trunk? BA

>Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:01:33 -0500
>From: Michiel van Wessem <jmvw@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E30> How to secure tool chest in trunk?
>
>Hello,
>
>I like to keep a big tool chest and a socket set in my car, in case
>something will need fixing along the way. These objects seems to have a
>tendency to fly around in the trunk though and hit the sides of the
car.
>This bothers me.
>
>Do you have a good way of securing your tool chest or similar stuff?
I'm
>thinking of using bunge (bungy?) cords to tie things to the front of
the
>trunk. What's a good way of making attachments for the bunge cords?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Michiel (87 325es 143k)

A trick that I have used in the past is old trouser belts.
If you look behind the side paneling in your trunk, you will find both
sides have sections of sheet metal that you can get to the back of.  I
drill a hole, through a belt, the trim and the metal.  Then bolt the
belt to the side of the trunk with a bolt and large washers.  Then you
simply strap the tool box into place with this cool looking leather
belt.  Do it right and it looks like a factory option.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you