Re: Sometimes BMW is too thorough...

Sorry I'm quite a bit behind in my digest reading, but after doing a
reply search, I had to throw my two bits worth in

>On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Keith Turner wrote:
>
><snip>
>>   Well, damn if BMW didn't route the ground wire for the relay through a
>> switch that was tripped by the top being down!!  Sometimes overengineering
>> is really a PITA!
>
> BMW is so thorough in fact, that on page 24 of the owner's manual, it
>states "When the soft top is open, rear window ventilation is put out
>of action by a safety switch on the soft top mechanism."
> Overengineered, maybe, but at least it's documented!
>:P

And the real reason for all this. Those of you who have a hardtop for
your convertible know that in addition to the reason mentioned above, the
other is that the power for the rear window ventilator is re-routed so
that it is available at the connection posts for the hardtop, and will
power the electric rear window in the hardtop. (At least on my E30 it is
that way.)

Rolf

Rolf Drommer  eMail: sunbimr@domain.elided

Membership Director BMW Car Club of BC
Club Website: http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/bmw/

Rolf Drommer 'SUNBMR' '92 E30 318i Cabrio
Personal Website: http://home.iSTAR.ca/~rolfd/

End of bmw-digest V9 #682