E30 Interior Light Delay

After reading the FAQ about the delay relay, I took the kick panel off to
find the relay.  I won't have a chance to get to the dealer to replace the
part for a few days, but would like to make the lights work if possible.
What I would like to do is disconnect the relay and have the lights come on
and off when the doors open and close, if possible.  How would I do this?
Currently, the lights come on when the doors open but never shut off.  If I
turn them off with the driver's door closed, then open the passengers door,
they turn on and off with the passenger's door.  Also, can someone please
describe the relay?  There are several wires and connections in that area
and I do not want to disconnect the wrong thing.  Thanks for any help.