Re: question on BMW automatics

>I've decided to look at an automatic 5or 7 series. I would like to find out the
>history of the automatic in BMWs from 1985 on. What year did they go from 3 to
>4 speed? From 4 to 5? Are there years to avoid for any
reason?

Avoid pre-9/87 ZF four speed units, later models have a
pressure relief hole to stop the A clutch pack self
destructing.

Models with the three speed tranny often had the option of a
four speed at extra cost so there is no definitive guide. I
doubt if any post-85 US models had the three speed anyway.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!