Re: 1990 318it Recall Rad. cap ?

Garry Grigg asks about the radiator cap recall:

> Can anyone offer a little background surely at such a mileage if the
>  radiator cap was duff it would of popped by now ?

Garry:

The problem is actually just the opposite.  The radiator cap is supposed to
vent any overpressure (if the car over heats, for example).

The caps being recalled have a tendency to not release in the case of an
overpressure situation.  This can lead to the explosive failure of some
other component in the cooling system, which is not designed for the higher
pressures.  If it is in the cabin with you, this could be a problem <g>.

Hope this helps,

Keith Wollenberg
BMWCCA, V.P. Golden Gate  ( # 73293)  *As should be obvious,*
BMWACA Seattle  (Since 1972)      *all opinions expressed*
                                                   *are solely my own.*
'88 ///M5 (MFREUDE)       '72 tii Touring (TOURING)
'95 M3 (M-Tschuss) [Kelly's car, which I get to drive sometimes.<g>]
****When You Get Your January Roundel, Please Take the Time to Vote****