Painting Brakes

"From: Josh Murray <mincarp1@domain.elided>
Subject: brakes

Does anybody have any advice as to treating/cleaning brakes in order to
prep
for painting.
I have a 90 325is with 16" Hartges, but my rusted (or oxidized if you
prefer) calipers and hub are detracting from the good looks.  Powder
coating
is a bit to expensive of an option so I think I'm going to paint them
with a
high temp paint.  I just need to know how to prep for the paint.
Also, if anyone has done this, I would love to hear your experiences and

possible paint recommendations.
Thanks so much,
Josh Murray
L.A. Chapter"

Here is a simply and effective way to clean and paint your calipers and
hub(I did the calipers only). Items needed found at Ace hardware:
1) 1 can Ace Heat Resistance Paint, (spray) 12 ounce, part# 17066, cost
4.99
 2)1 can Airjet compressed Air 12 ounce ( or any compressed
air).....cost 9.49
3) 1 Rubbermaid pot and pan wire brush ( 8" handle w/1.25"x1.37" ) cost
2.39
Operation:
1) Remove wheel.
2)Use wire brush to remove all  rust and dirt from calipers and/or
hub.Use compresses air
to rid residue of rust from brushing. This is more effective then trying

to wipe it off.
3) Block off area not to be painted, using cardboard ( I used file
folders).
4) Apply light coat of spray paint to caliper. Apply second light coat
evenly.
5) Repeat steps on remaining calipers and/or hub.
Make sure you have adequate ventilation when you start. The paint fumes
are very strong in a closed area. Allow 24 hours to dry.
Since my wheels are silver, I decided to paint the calipers silver. the
Paint color is actually aluminum.
Total material cost is 16.87.  Total time for me 1 1/2 hours. Results,
very good . Looks outstanding.
Henry