[E34] Purchase advise: 94-95 525i or 540i

I'm new to the list and I'm doing a little research before making a
purchase decision.  Any help and all comments appreciated.  I'm going to
take my time and research and test drive for at least 6 months to a year
before making a purchase so time is not an issue.

I considering purchasing an E34 94-95 5 series.  It will be my daily
driver so I'm looking for something really solid and reliable, but I
also looking to upgrade and mod the car over time.  I would also like to
keep the car a long time barring any unusual maintenance or repair cost.
Which one is going to give me the best bang for the buck?  Would a 525i
give better bang for the buck than a 540i if I spend the difference in
the purchase price on mods?

Mods that I'm considering: big sticky tires, shocks/springs, anti-roll
bars, intake and exhaust system, and chip.  (Not neccessarily in that
order.)  I don't want to touch the engine's internals.

If there's any money left over and the engine is still strong, maybe a
turbocharger upgrade with IC.  Also, at what point (miles on the
odometer) would a turbocharger be a waste of money.  50K?...75K?...100K?

Please email me directly at hung_nguyen@domain.elided

TIA,
Hung