<E36 M3> Replacement Tires - sizing problems

In a message dated 12/8/98 8:13:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,  Scott Miller
writes:

 <<< I thought someone else would have already addressed this by now, but I
 haven't seen it, so here's my .02 on the subject.
 If the '97 M3 in question has traction control, it is important that the
front
 and rear tires be of the same, or nearly the same diameter.  If the fronts
 and rears differ by more than (something like) 1%, the traction control
 computer can read the rotational speed differences as a loss of traction
 and will then try to correct by reducing the power, or whatever else the
 traction control does on those cars.  I'm pretty sure you don't want this.>>>

Members,
I have to agree with Scott and say that this is in fact very true!  Keep the
tires about the same size to avoid any problems with the darn traction
control.

<< You can use the same size tires on both ends, even though the wheels
 are different widths.  Just make sure to use a width that the tire
 manufacturer says is OK to put on both a 7.5 inch rim and an 8.5 inch
 rim.>>

Changing to the same tire size on all 4 wheels will be OK.  You shouldn't have
any traction control problems.  A friend of mine was using 95 M3 wheels/tires
for a few weeks till his bent wheel was repaired and had absolutely no
problems with the traction control kicking in.

<< As far as the price of the MXX3s and the P-Zeros, welcome to the wild
 wacky wonderful - and EXPENSIVE - world of 17 inch performance tires!
You're just lucky you got 25K miles out of the original tires! >>

Same here... I just forked out $900 for some new Brigestone SO2's from Tire
Rack.  I just figured that the tires are what keep the car attached to the
pavement so I didn't want to skimp on that issue.  From what I've heard, the
SO2 Pole Position is the hot ticket!!  25,000 miles is great wear out of the
Mich. tires...  way to go!  I only got 23,000.

Tino Saloomen
TinoM3@domain.elided
L.A. Chapter
http://members.aol.com/laftc