E30 - water leak, passenger side

I've always disliked the fact that my house has a detached garage which is
too small to fit even my E30, 325...but it is what it is, I guess.  Recently
my E30 has sprung a leak into the passenger foot well when the car is
pointed downhill.  I seem to recall from previous postings or the FAQ that
this is sometimes related to a drain hole/tube located  at the firewall over
the exhaust manifold.  Well, I check this routinely from the engine
compartment side and it is clean, both the hose and the opening behind it.
Does anyone know what common leak points there are with this body?  Thanks.
(there was nearly an inch of water in that well!)

John Thomas
'94 318i   55k
'87 325  165k...dinan chip, suspension...still orig clutch, muffler, eng,
trans...
http://www.wenet.net/users/johnt/bmw.html