<E34> Differential question

Folks

The differential(3.46?) on my '89 535i 5spd (manufacture date, 11/88) has=

started
to whine more than my wife, so it probably needs replacing.  I took it to=

my mechanic and he quoted me $600 dollars for a used diff.  That seemed
to reasonable to me.  The next day, he called me up and said that he
couldn't get one for less than $800.  It got me wondering about how far I=

should delve into how much my mechanic paid for it; there must be quite
a profit margin on used parts (I would think), since the price could vary=

more than
a new part.  Given that this diff would be in average shape (I have 170K =
on
my car,
 I don't need a new one) is $800 too much?  does anyone have one I could
buy
less than that?

Also, I need a lamp control module.  Is anyone in the selling mood?

Thanks!

Scott  McNeal

End of bmw-digest V9 #661