LTW flywheel comments

Sorry I'm so slow in responding.  My company just changed over our
e.mail to (yikes!) Lotus Notes.

Thao wrote:
<snip>
Has anyone had any experience with the lightweight flywheel?  Will the
upgrade be noticeable in performance?  Any input would be appreciated.
<snip>

Thao -

Here is the scoop:

Pros:
Winds up like a mother.  In addition to the other mod's I've made, it is
a very good thing.

Cons:
You may have seen some Q&A on the Crygest about dual mass
flywheels.  The E36M3 has one.  The benefit is twofold.  First, it dampens
engine to gearbox noise when the car is in neutral (like at a stoplight).
With the LTW flywheel, you can hear (depending on your stereo) the
noise caused by the gears in the transmission turning under very light
load.  I have also noticed a similar noise, like driving on grooved
pavement,
when light loading the gearbox while its in gear, as you might slowing
down when a car pulls in front of you.  This sound MAY annoy the heck
out of some of you, though it doesn't bother me that much.  As
an alternative, my mech suggested using an M5 clutch with a matching
LTW flywheel.  The earlier BMW clutches had a dampening mechanism
built in to the clutch plate, rather than the flywheel.  Another potential
problem with going light without dampening was brought to my attention by
Jim C, when an earlier LTW flyweel thread was started by Ben L. a few weeks
ago.  Apparently, the absence of all that balast on the crank can cause
fault
codes (Check Engine Light) due to variation in the rotational speed of the
cams.
I have NOT had this problem, but you might ask Jim about it before you do
this.

All in all, I'd do it.

John
98 ///M3 - 4 "Calypso"