Re: White Turn Signals and Tail Lamp Lenses

> I have been using the white turning bulbs for a year and not for once I get
> bothered by cops.

Depends on where you live in NC.  When I was there in the mid-80s (damn that seems
so long ago), around the cities, you're just seen as a poseur (not you personally),
once you get into the backwoods, you become a "TARGET".  Been there - eluded that.

> The driver handbook specifically address this issue as follows:
> "Taillights must be red in color and visible for at least 500 feet."
> "All motor vehicles produced since 1955 must have red or amber lights
> that engage when the brakes or turn signal are used. These lights may be
> combined with the taillights or may be separated, and they must be
> visible for at least 100 feet in normal daylight."

According to this statement an amber brake light is acceptable?  I'd read the Motor
Vehicle Code for a Passenger Car as well.

I'd imagine that there is a stipulation about the color of the bulbs and the color
of the lenses.  Usually lenses aren't covered in the Drivers' Handbook.  Judging
from what I've seen on new cars, I'd imagine the Code says something to the effect
of "front turn signals must have an amber color, lens color must be white or amber.
Tail lights must have a red color, lens color must be red.  Rear turn signals may be
red or amber, lens may be red, clear or amber."

Case in point being that in VA, it is feasible to have an exhaust system that does
NOT have a muffler so long as it contains any necessary emissions control bits -
i.e. catatonic perverter and O2 Sensor.  That doesn't mean that the car is street
legal since all vehicles then come under local jurisdiction.  The VA Drivers' Manual
says nothing about exhaust systems - get my drift?
- --
Matthew Yip - American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God