Audi v. BMW

David D. Beatty wrote;
">General press on the cars is that the a4 is one of the best real world
>cars you can buy, with or without quattro, the 323 is cramped and
>plasticky, not up to the stds of the rest of the line. "

David, I was going to jump on you, but I see you attribute the above comment
to "general press" and what the hell do they know .  Anyways,  I have just
driven the 323 & A4 back to back (drove three different A4's and two BMW's
all on seperate occaisions over ten days)

The 323 is roomier than the A4 (A4 roofline, A pillars really come in at
your head) and is clearly  better materials than the A4 (and better than the
"old" 328- e36??).  Remember NO LEATHER in A4 1.8 turbo's.   323 sticker
price is about 4k more than comparably equipped A4 1.8t Q (but alas no
leather w/audi 1.8t which is 1450.00 in the BMW).  Overall the cars are very
similiar sized and overall quality (which is good news for audi)

The nutbuster for me is engine size.  Remember "there is no replacement for
displacement" The 1.8t is an AWESOME engine but I like to drive 80-90 for
2-3 hrs on business and thats 3600-4000 rpm in an audi. The 323i is not only
faster but turns a heck of alot slower at speed.

Of course I probably won't buy either- yesterday I was going 85mph at about
2950 rpms in my 3.5 six/5sp e34 and I like it !

Drive On
DWR
Good thing I didn't have a 426hemi as a kid or I'd really be in trouble <g>