Re: <E28> Blowing Cold Air (Heater Problem)

In a message dated 98-12-07 21:08:39 EST, Steve Billings writes:

<<  ........Is there an air mix flap or something that could
 be stuck open?  Or should I be looking at heater valve heater or core
 problems? Any help would be much appreciated as its getting kinda cold
 here in Portand.

 Steve Billings
 88 M5 >>

Hi Steve:

I'd bet it's "definitely" the heater control valve on the firewall (driver
side)...a replacement core can be had for about $30 or so, or you can replace
the whole thing(not usually necessary).  The diaphram inside probably has a
crack in it, thus explaining why you have heat at idle or low speeds, but
"disappears at road speeds when the water flows thru it.

As I recall you only need to "pinch" the line to impede the release of water
during the repair and remove 4 small screws on top of the unit...pop out the
old core and insert the new one...takes about 10 minutes or less to do the
job.

Hope this helps.

Happy ///Motoring,

John Weese