Re: Snake oil?

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, John G.Burns wrote:

> Check out http://freespace.virgin.net/s.pike/cars.htm
>
> I saw an add for this and dismissed it as snake oil but
> eventually curiosity got the better of me. Having studied
> the technical details I'm not so sure now, might actually
> work. Any chemical engineers here who can offer an opinion?

 I'm no chemical engineer, but I love search engines.  There are a
handful of sites selling such gas magnets, and some of them even have
some pretty convincing writing.  But alas, I don't think there's much
else to 'em.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/ATG/ for a laugh or two.

 There are several patents on such devices, which the manufacturers
love to point out.  Two of them that I looked at contain language like
"Although the theoretical basis by which the inventive device operates
is not well understood at the present time..." or "Unexplained but
apparently synergistic reaction..."

 This particular patent claims an improvement on a previous patent
whereby the magnet in question was swapped north for south.
Apparently, the south pole of the magnet is better for fuel treatment.
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US04362152__&language=en
oops not that one, I mean:
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US04572145__&s_clms=1#clms

 In the interest of science, I believe I will find me a good strong
magnet and fasten it to my fuel line.  I will report my results
someday.

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and