<E30> parking brake questions

I have a few questions concerning the parking brake in my E30 325i. First,
I find that it doesn't work very well (the car rolls), even after
tightening the cables at the handle inside the car. Does this mean that I
need to replace the parking brake shoes? Second, Bentley says to use "brake
spring pliers" to disconnect the return spring from the brake shoe, and to
use "a special tool (BMW P/N 34 4 000) to remove and install the spring
retainers: what are these tools and do I really need them? Thanks for the
help.

Geoff