Re:E28 Diff swap... and how to do it!Hold the boat!! BA

>From: ABARTH037@domain.elided
>Subject: E28 Diff swap... and how to do it!Hold the boat!!
>
>I was pretty sure that I read somewhere that 528e's after 3/87 had a
3.46 rear
>ratio?  I believe I read that on the Korman website?  Is this correct?
Prove
>me wrong, I was looking for the later 528e ring and pinion for my 85
535i?  If
>anybody knows the truth please let it be known.
>
>Thanks
>Nathan
>85 535i

Nathan, only Automatic 528e's had this ratio after 3/87.
Only stick shift 528's from 3/87 had 3.25 ratio's
Your car has a 3.25 rear end.  The difference between the two is hardly
startling.  You may want to consider going to a 3.73.  This will give
you about 600 rpm more at any given speed compared to what you have now.
Undoubtedly there was one or two other BMW models that had the 3.46
ratio, but I really can't get into the mood to look such things up.
Two weeks in the Bahamas has left me exhausted. I'll be damned if I
could find an F body to rent, what a waste of two weeks.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you