<E36> instrument cluster swap

Has anyone replaced the non-M3 instrument cluster with the M3 instrument
cluster?  How does that effect the displayed speed and rpm?  I think the VDO
gearing ratios are different and the displayed speed will be greater than
the actual speed.  What else should I be concerned with?  Is there a way to
reprogram the odometer counter so that I preserve my actual mileage?  I'm
not trying to lower my mileage, just to get a nicer looking (in my opinion)
cluster.  I've looked everywhere for replacement red pointers but no luck so
far.  TIA.

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536

PS.  Yes, I do have a lot of free time on my hand and now that my car audio
system is done I'm looking for a new project.  ;)   Also check out my
proposed Digest sticker designs at
http://www.angelfire.com/va/REM3/BMWDigest.html