<E32> O2 Sensor

Hi ListHeroes: In over half a million miles in BMWs, I never had an O2 sensor
go out until today.  My '88 735i is flashing the "check engine" light and I'm
getting an "incomplete combustion" smell.  I'm fairly certain this means a new
O2 sensor, but before I buy one from the dealer for $160, is there a way to
clean or refurbish this unit?  I've seen some posts on substituting Ford
units; any application for a 735i?  Can anyone help with tips for the R and R
of this part?  I think its in the exhaust pipe just south of the manifold;
true?  Thanks for the help...Chas.

'83 633CSi
'85 528e
'88 735i