Re: airbag disconnect

Andy writes:

> Someone wrote:
>
> As for the airbag question (E36), pulling the fuse
> will not guarantee that
> the bags won't go off since the DERM has a
> residual charge in it and it
> doesn't take much voltage to set it off.   I would
> suggest finding a
> competent BMW certified technician who can
> disconnect just the passenger
> side airbag.  [snip]
> - --------------------------------------
>
> Why don't you ask the BMW technician to to remove
> all the seatbelts and add a row of knives sticking
> out of the dashboard while he's at it? They are as
> likely to do this as they are to disable the
> airbag. BMW Mechanics these days won't touch this
> stuff with a 10 foot pole due to liability
> concerns. Their lawyers will have heart attacks if
> they found out anyone even suggested they perform
> such a service.
>
> I think there was talk months ago about plans for
> federal legislation to immunize those who disable
> airbags at the request of the owners from lawsuits
> - -- was such legislatiion passed while I was
> sleeping?
>
> Andy '95 M3

Jeez.  I thought _I_ was testy about air bags.  For all the facts
relating to air bags, air bag on/off switches, and disconnecting air
bags go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/ and read.  For those of you
buying used cars there's also a list of the VINs of cars whose air bags
have been legally disconnected (as opposed to switched).
- --
Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL