airbag disconnect

Someone wrote:

As for the airbag question (E36), pulling the fuse
will not guarantee that
the bags won't go off since the DERM has a
residual charge in it and it
doesn't take much voltage to set it off.   I would
suggest finding a
competent BMW certified technician who can
disconnect just the passenger
side airbag.  [snip]
- --------------------------------------

Why don't you ask the BMW technician to to remove
all the seatbelts and add a row of knives sticking
out of the dashboard while he's at it? They are as
likely to do this as they are to disable the
airbag. BMW Mechanics these days won't touch this
stuff with a 10 foot pole due to liability
concerns. Their lawyers will have heart attacks if
they found out anyone even suggested they perform
such a service.

I think there was talk months ago about plans for
federal legislation to immunize those who disable
airbags at the request of the owners from lawsuits
- -- was such legislatiion passed while I was
sleeping?

Andy '95 M3