Reply: E36 M3 -Low r.w. Dyno HP #'s ??

>I've seen lots of talk lately about the rear wheel dyno HP #'s for
>stock and modified E36 M3's ,but all the numbers *seem* to be quite
>low. Although there is no exact conversion for rear wheel to flywheel
>HP the general consensus (on a Dynojet) is about an 11-14% drivetrain
>loss. The best r.w. HP I can remember seeing for an E36 M3 with
>chip,intake and exhaust was about 215r.w. HP or a maximum of 245
>flywheel HP.  I think the stock M3's were doing about 200-205 r.w.
>which would be about 233 flywheel.

Rob,

I didn't see anybody spit out the magic number which is 21%.  So an M3
with 200 at the r.w. has, 200 x 1.21 = 242.

Now something that I haven't seen anyone mention is playing around
with the coolant temp.  The person at the dyno when I had my car
checked, had me play around with the radiator fan to cool the coolant
down.  He had me leave the car running with the fan on at idle, shut
it off, wait, restart it, rev it at little (move the cooler coolant
around), and then we retested.  I can't really explain how this
worked, but the numbers were the highest after this excercise.  Mine
was 222 at the rear wheels.  I bet there are folks with similar mods
with higher numbers though.

Carlos
Seattle
95 M3 Euro HFM, K&N cone, JC chip, ES Tuning exhaust, and some other
stuff.