Re: Colored Gauge Faces

Mike, I've installed the NR silver gauge faces on my silver '98 M3 Coupe
with gray interior.  In daylight I think they look really kewl and I
actually find it easier to read the tach and speedo out of my peripheral
vision.  At night I don't think they look as good as the stock faces.
The orange backlighting isn't as good/even and the light leaking out the
back of the needles reflects off the silver faces creating a halo
effect.

As for the install, you do NOT have to remove the steering wheel.
Simply remove the two screws that hold in the cluster and once you get
the three connectors off the back of the cluster, you slide it out past
the side of the wheel.  The connectors are a PITA the first time.  Once
you learn their trick it's much easier.  Removing the needles can be
tricky and putting them back on in the correct position can be even
worse.  Oh, and be careful not to scratch or smudge the new gauge faces
as they scar easily.  I plan on putting up a web page detailing the
installation but I probably won't get around to it until the boring days
of winter.  I'll post the URL on the digest when it's done.

All things considered, I'm glad I put them in as they add a customized
look, but it was quite an exercise in patience.  Let me know if you need
any more info before I get the web page completed.

Bruce Mitchell
Windy City Chapter