<E30> Glove box lock stuck

I have an 87 325es that has a glove box that needs to be replaced.  The glove box broke off the back hinge and is hanging by the latch.  The latch is broken and will not release.  I have a hanging glove box that uses all the battery power because the light does not shut off.  I can not reach the light to pull it out.  I have something rigged up to keep it fully closed and the light off.  If the latch is stuck and will not release is there an easy way of getting it to release.  I know I have to replace the glove box anyway but I just do not want to damage anything else.  This problem was caused by having too much stuff in the compartment and the weight was too great of load.  Any help would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
87 325es
94 325i