Re: M3 or 328is decision assistance

Hi.  I own a 328i and have driven a few E36 M3s and would like to offer my
*impressions* of the pros/cons of both:

M3:

Pros: better top-end power, sportier engine sound, telepathic handling,
stronger brakes, grippier seats (if you get the manual seats), nicer gauges
(thin red needles/pointers, vs. white ones on 328is), beautiful front air
dam and rear valence
Cons:  more expensive to buy and maintain, less absorbent ride, wheels are
more prone to damage, higher revs on the freeway (rear end ratio is
3.15/3.23 for 95/96 M3 vs. 2.93 for 328i), everyone else on the road will
piss you off for driving so slowly, particularly on freeway off-ramps

328is with sport package

Pros:  cheaper to own and maintain, better fuel economy, more absorbent
ride (you don't feel potholes and expansion joints as much), similar power
to about 3,000 or maybe 3,500 rpm (good for 6 second 0-60 and 15 second 1/4
mile times, about 0.5 second and 1 second slower, respectively, than an
M3), responsive handling (a notch below the M3 but better than a 328i
without the sport package, which has duller reflexes), less conspicuous (to
cops too?), same optional power seats as is used in the M3, actually seems
to be rarer than an M3 in Silicon Valley . . . . .
Cons:  an athletic, track-worthy car but not as sporty, in terms of speed,
handling, braking or general sound

That being said, you can go really really fast in a 328i if you learn to
fully utilize its capabilities.  I've heard that one of the top
auto-crossers at the NCC (Raf Garces) has a 328i with the sport package.
[Raf, if you see this, it would be great if you could share your ideas.
(We exchanged a few emails last year when I was still with the Windy City
Chapter).]

I guess the test is in driving both and deciding if the M3 suits you.  Its
a more aggressive car that Car & Driver, for one, doesn't feel is as good
for everyday driving as the 328i/is.  If the M3 suits you, then figure out
if it is worth the price premium over a 328is.  Last year, I think a new M3
cost about $7,000 more than a similarly optioned 328is.  I don't know that
the price difference is for used, but keeep in mind that an M3 holds its
value better than a 328i.  You can also do a few cost-effective upgrades to
bring the 328i closer to an M3, such as buying a take-off M3 suspension, M3
wheels/tires, JimC chip, upgrading the brake pads/fluid, etc.  But, while
you can get the same handling and appearance through upgrades, you can only
get M3 or better power if you turbo- or supercharge or put in a stroker
motor.  So, figure out how much and what kind of performance is important
to you (off the line, highway speeds, handling, ride comfort, etc.).

If you want an aggressive but refined sports car that makes you feel in
total control of the road, and if you can spare the bucks, get the M3.  If
you want a premium sporty car that saves you a few bucks yet can still
out-accelerate and out-handle most cars and ride comfortably (for the
benefit your non-performance oriented passengers too), and if you don't
mind knowing that there are M3s out there, then go for the 328is, which as
a performance car, has routinely beat the Audi A4 and numerous Japanese and
American sports coupes and sedans in comparison tests.  Drive em both.  Let
your heart decide.  Then figure out what you can afford.  Afterwards, be
happy knowing that whichever one you choose, you'll have a great driver's
car.

On my part, I bought a 328i a year ago since my cash flow at the time would
not let me get an M3.  I've driven it at 2 BMW CCA driving schools (at
Putnam Park and Road America), and have been in 4 auto-crosses.  The car
has done great and has been completely trouble free.  I did warp a set of
front rotors at my 2nd school, but that is not unusual at such events
(they're easy to change -- I did mine myself in a couple of hours).

Thats my $0.02 cents worth.  I hope it helps and that others can also share
their views.

Regards, and good luck!

Jay Sala
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
328i

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:35:11 -0800
>From: Mark Hansen <mhansen@domain.elided>
>Subject: M3 or 328is decision assistance
>
>Well, after being BMW-less for a year and a half I just can't stand it
>any longer. I'm torn between an M3 and a 328is with sports package. I'm
>looking for some help in my decision.
>
>To those of you who may have been in the same boat, what decision did you
>make and what swayed you that direction? Can't afford new so I'm
>considering a 95-96 M3 or a 96-97 328is.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Mark H.
>San Jose

End of bmw-digest V9 #614