E-36 M-3 short block into 325is??????

Ok, just got to thinkin'---How tough would it be to install a 3.2 liter
M-3 short block into my '93 325is? If it would just bolt on, I assume
the head wouldn't flow as well as the M-3 head, but it would save a lot
of dough by not needing new intake/exhaust, etc. I know I'd at LEAST
need a new or custom chip. If it worked, the torque would be real nice
for the street, although I assume it wouldn't have much "top end".
Thoughts?  Is this a loony idea?     Thanks for any advice!    Ken