DIY e30 suspension tips

Removing and Installing Front Suspension Struts

 7  You'll probably be needing the pickle fork set here.
       This stumped me for a while, because I didn't know what a
       pickle fork was before I started this project!

       Also, if the boots aren't already split, using the pickle
       fork will probably do the job.  I think the boots are
       available individually, so you might look into this.

I've found there is no need to use pickle forks or special tools to
seperate the strut from the control arm and tie rod. Spray the
entire area with liquid wrench or other suitable penetrating oil. If
you look closely, the ends of the bolts are concave. Find a steel
chisel with a point that will fit into the concave part of the bolt.
Several vigorous taps with a hammer will eventually free these up
with no resulting damage to rubber ball joint boots. Several taps to
the strut area around the bolt may also help to loosen the grip
before going to the chisel. While I'm in this general area...a tip,
if you need to replace your control arm completely, because you blew
it and ruined the boots, you must load the joint at which the bolt
holds the arm to the frame, or the bolt will spin when trying to
loosen the nut. Use another jack with a piece of wood under the
joint to prevent this from happening.
No thanks, just send $5 to me each time you do this.

Charlie Shimkus
85 325 Beavered!
88 944 Turbo S