Q: E30 amplifier wiring?

Hello BMW Experts!  I'm trying to upgrade my stereo, but the dealer
I just spoke with said that I really should get a new head unit before a
new amp, which is what I want first.  I thought I could make a 4 or 5
channel amp work if I messed with the wiring, but the salesman said I need
a $50. thing to sort out the ground wires.  Seems the 'common ground' and
the front-rear fader switch in the dash are incompatible with after-market
amps.
     Can anyone help me with this one?  I have the four speaker, tweeter
in door, little amp in trunk system.
     I put in DEI 5.25 components in the front last weekend, and along
with the Pioneer 5x7 coaxes in the rear, music is getting much better!
               Murf '87 325(8)is   BMWCCA 79550