RE: E30 OBC install and related questions

> Looking for some digest wisdom before undertaking this project. I happened
> across an OBC while scouting in a junkyard this weekend. Before I try to
> install this into my car, I want to make sure I have all the relevant
> parts.  I removed three things:  (1) OBC unit, (2) wiring harness that
runs
> from OBC to instrument cluster and down to little black box, and (3)
little
> black box mounted under dash behind silver box. Am I missing anything?

	To get full-OBC going you only need 1) OBC unit and 2) OBC harness.
Optional items include:
 o  OBC-happy turn signal stalk (push in to change OBC modes)
 o  black coding box to disable injectors when the CODE is entered. This
will require a full-OBC main electric harness or you will have nowhere to
plug into the DME. No DME connection - no disabled injectors.
 o  additional horn to sound a siren when CODE is enabled and somebody fails
to enter correct code after 3? tries

	Make sure you got the OBC unit from the right donor car. All OBC
units have little plugs in the back to work with specific years of specific
cars (DME #'s correlation?). Check the FAQ for the listing of the right OBC
units for your car. If you have the wrong plug you MPG and RANGE will be way
off. A new plug costs around $150 from the dealer ;-).

> (By the way, what is that silver box on the driver's side?)

Probably the ABS brain

> Second, anyone know where I can locate a wiring diagram demonstrating what
> connects to where.  The OBC harness has a number of little plugs.  I
didn't
> have an opportunity to detail everything exactly because the yard was
> closing, and my memory will likely fade significantly before I have the
> time to install this.

	Check out Digest archives for this time last year. I had done the
exact same full-OBC retrofit on my '89 325i and posted the description with
an ASCII diagram. I am sure many others have done this as well and posted
their directions to the digest as well.

Alexander Fadeev
Alex.Fadeev@domain.elided
(972)-507-1370 (phone)