<all> Driver's Schools - long

I want to add a couple thoughts to Jim Basset's comments of BMW CCA
drivers schools from my experience this past summer with the Windy
City, Michiana, and Badger Bimmer chapters.

Cost - nominal. Two days at Road America for about $250! Try to beat
that on the fun/$ scale.

Novices - definitely welcome and in fact, catered to. I was a novice
with much trepidation at my first school last spring at Road America.
My wife came along as a volunteer and worked in the tower. We both had
a blast and made fast friends (no pun intended) with many club
members. I was completely hooked by the end of the weekend. Even if
your intentions are less rabid, you owe it to yourself and your car to
try it out. You will learn a lot and leave a better driver.

But my poor car! - Driving schools will not damage your car. If you
get better and faster and begin modifying your car, the wear factor
will increase. But there are many on this list with numerous seasons
of driving schools on their cars - M and not - who have only performed
routine maintenance and have had no catastrophic failures. Sure, tires
and brake pads go more quickly but these are maintenance items. Even
the most rabid school junkies aren't swapping trannys and
differentials because of their habit...unless of course they want to.
Talk to other owners at your first school, most likely they'll be glad
to help you with care & feeding tips.

Instructors - I think my experience at four schools has been typical.
I had great instructors who cared about safety, learning, and
genuinely enjoyed what they were doing. I made a point to ask about
that and each mentioned the personal satisfaction of teaching and
witnessing a students skills improve. These folks aren't paid except
through track time so their interest in teaching is genuine.

I'm afraid of being on a track - Certainly is intimidating but stop
and think a minute. Isn't it safer to hone your skills where:
- - all cars go the same direction,
- - all drivers have experienced instructors,
- - passing is controlled and by permission only, and
- - the roadway is designed for speed and safety?
As I said earlier, my wife Marcia came along to the first school I
attended out of a combination of curiosity and fear. We're both glad
she did not only because we had so much fun but because she
understands that this is a controlled environment that emphasizes
safety and learning. Did I mention it was fun too?

To all those new BMW owners lurking out there: Join the club and get
involved. These are great people who will help you get the most
enjoyment possible out your car....ned.

Ned Coonen
98 M3 [BLACK M3]
BMW CCA 127659 (Windy City)