<E28> Cold Start Valve

Philip,

The cold start valve itself is prone to leakage. A real PITA to replace.
It's on the underside of the intake manifold. If I recall correctly to
replace mine I removed the airbox up to and including the throttle body
to get enough room to work.

You can then see the cold start valve between two of the intake runners.
It's fastened to the manifold with two 10mm head bolts. Unfortunatly
there is no room between the bolt head and the valve body to get a box
end wrench around. One of the best suggestions I ever got from this
digest was to take a long flat blade screwdriver from the top end, wedge
it between the bolt and valve body, then strike it gently to deform the
valve body until there is room for your box end wrench from underneath.

When replacing be sure to use high quality fuel injection lines. I also
reccommend using internal hex head bolts when reinstalling so you never
have to go through this nightmare twice on the same car.

Erick Baumeister
hack mechanic, Livermore,CA (It's not the end of the world, but you can
see it from here)
'88 535iA, BMWCCA 131280