Overrev

From: John Edward Miller <jem@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Overrevving again.

> The problem of misplaced downshifts does occur, as one driver recently
> discovered at the same Nordscheife, with a blown engine as a result.

No question.  But there's a big judgment call to be made here: is it
possible for an engine-management system to know when it's safe to do
something so potentially destabilizing as declutching?

I don't believe that at this point it is.

While I agree that having the clutch suddenly disengaged while you were
whistling into Schwedenkreuz might be a little unsettling, the consequences
of the motor suddenly seizing might be equally disruptive. Perhaps an alarm
that read road speed vs gear selected might be better.

But surely much of this discussion comes down to adapting your driving to
suit the car at hand. My Scirocco sometimes preferred 3rd to 5th, but I
learned to make a more definite jog to the right when shifting quickly. I
never considered suing VW for their design.