Re: bmw-digest V9 #603

Hahaha!

I did almost the exact same things today on my 91 325iSE. Nearly striped the
big timing cover bolt, and managed to damage ALL the tension adjusters on
the auxilaries - lucky for me they stripped in the loose position so to
tighten them I could tension the unit a bit then turn the adjuster.

I still have the radiator to put back in (it is 200Kms away - leaked once so
I told the dealer I got the car from to gimme a new one, but he wanted to
see the old one) and all the new hoses - I didn't order them before I
started.

I managed to strip one of the Allen key bolts on the rotor - so I used a
pair on nippers, then made to hole a little bigger with a hammer, so it
would take the next size allen key.

I also retentioned the cam belt three times just to be sure - All my other
cars are aircooled VW's so I am not used to these "modern" things :-)

I am dreading doing the rear subframe bushings - imagine the mess I could
make of that!

Good luck with the next project!

Allan Williams

>Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:25:49 -0500
>From: Michiel van Wessem <jmvw@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E30> Replaced timing belt, water pump and other belts
>
>Hi guys (includes gals),
>
>With 142000 miles on my '87 325es and a last replacement of the timing belt
>at 60000 miles, it was time to replace the timing belt. I just did that. I
>replaced the timing belt, the water pump, the timing belt tensioner. Since
>I liked reading the reports that other people wrote about stuff they did, I
>thought I'd report to you about this operation.
>
>Now, I haven't worked on cars a whole lot yet, but I'm handy enough and I'm
>pretty smart too. I say this just so that you won't think "what an idiot"
>when you read about the mistakes I made.
>
>The whole thing took me two days, of maybe 11 hours each (yeah!). I started
>pretty late, so part I had to work in the dark, on the driveway. I had a
>500 Watt halogen work light sitting on the top of my car, but the white
>reflective walls of a garage would have been very nice to get a more all
>around lighting.

SNIPPED