e28 blowing#6 fuse

My '86 535i 5sp is blowing fuse #6.  This controls the gauges (tach,
fuel,
temp), active check control, power windows/mirrors, interior lights,
etc.  The
fuse is okay for a short while then it suddenly blows.

This is going to be tough to figure out because of the many circuits
involved.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what it might be, I could start
there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris
GGC BMWCCA

Chris
I have had this problem with 2 e28s.  The first was due to driver side
door lock heater,(disconnected now since I live in the South).  The
second was the horn for the OBC.  There is a connector just behind the
drivers side shock tower where you can unplug the horn.  Finding the
short is, and it's most likely a short, is a lengthy process of
elimination...i had the instrument cluster and OBC unplugged and still
didn't find it but a mechanic friend,( with a handful of fuses  heard a
relay click when he put a new fuse in and finally isolated the relay by
ear! ...used up a few fuses doing this so have plenty on hand or get a
circuit breaker.  Another problem spot is the central locking sys..
Located behind the kickpanel speakers are a couple
multi-connectors..good place to check. You may have to pull door panels
to isolate individual items.  Check the fusebox connections, too. An
electrical troubleshooting manual is helpful...i borrowed one, you might
get a zerox copy from someone.  The Bentley manual electrical diagrams
are a bit confusing.  Good luck. Take your time. Be patient. Be
methodical. Start with the easy stuff.
Tom Dotzler
87 535i
86 "545i" turbo