re: transition to fast cars

Wow.  Thanks everyone for the overwhelming response.  It is really
nice to know that you all care.  After all we are all here to help each
other.  Thanks..

  I think everyone has covered just about every aspect that could come
up in the transition from a low power car to a high power one.   I'd
like to sum it all up, but it might take me the better part of the day!
I think overall, I need to relearn how to drive.  The problem is that I
feel so comfortable going fast in the 318i that I think some of this
rubs off in my skills with the M3.  Not so.  They may be both E30s but
they are completely different animals.  I guess I might have also been
distracted by driving schools instructors and professionals, that can
seemingly hop in any car and drive it fast after a warm up lap or two.
Whether or not the instructors are doing the right thing or not, I have
to realize that I am not in instructor (or at that level.)  Let me also
say that I did not hop in the M3 and immediately start driving it like a
manic.  I don't want people to get the wrong impression of me.  In fact,
I had some previous experience driving the E30 M3.  When my friend first
bought it (about two years ago), we autoxed it a few times.  I felt I
was handling the car fairly well because I was beating the owners
times.  (hint: if you want to keep autoxing someone else's car, don't
beat the owners times!)  The car wasn't that tail happy back then. The
M3 sat in storage for over a year until this Fall when we "brought the
M3 back to life."  We added a Jim C. chip, new suspension components all
around, H&R spring, bilstien shocks, Borla exhaust, and a bunch of other
goodies.  For the final step, we had all four corners aligned by a
reputable mechanic.  Before all of this, the car was a mess.  The M3 had
rear toe-out, drastically different camber on at each corner, a dead F-L
shock, warped rotors, etc... It was in BAD shape.  Now I guess the key
is to forget everything I knew about the old M3 and my 318i, and relearn
the characteristics of the new E30 M3.  Since it is almost winter here,
the M3 will be going away again soon.  I will assure everyone that I and
the owner of the M3 will be at the very first autox of the season next
year.  Shortly after we'll be up a BIR attending the first drivers
school of the season.  I can't wait.  If you live in MN, come out and
join us!

Thanks again everyone.  I still have a lot of think about..