re: E34 Back-up Light switch

>Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:06:54 -0500
>From: shane.a.kleinpeter@domain.elided
>Subject: E34 Back-up Light switch

>Hi everyone,

>I'm up here in PA over the holidays visiting my parents and the back
>up lights on my Dad's 525i (92) are out.  I don't have any manuals
>handy and wanted to know how to test the back up light switch to see
>if it is broken. If it is like my car, it should be on the same side
>as the transmission drain plug (passanger side).  I have a VOM and
>plenty of tools.  Thanks in advance.

>Shane Kleinpeter
>Tarheel Chapter

Shane,
The backup lights for your car are powered by fuse F12 at the front
power distribution box.  It's a 15 amp fuse.  If you have an automatic,
the switch (S3)is at connector X511 which is an 8-pin black connector in
front of the gearshift selector.  If you drive a manual transmission
look for the switch (S92) at connector X546, which is a 2-pin white
connector  below center of console at the left hand side of the
gearshift selector. I suppose the easiest way to check the switches is
to connect one lead of your VOM to fuse F12 and the other to chassis
ground. You should read continuity when the gear shift is in reverse.
But since this fuse supplies other circuits, I would go directly to the
switches mentioned above and check there.  For a manual transmission,
place one lead of VOM to pin 1 and the other to pin 2. Should read
continuity when placed in reverse.  For automatic tranny, place one VOM
lead on pin 6 and the other on pin 7 to read continuity when in reverse.
All of the above info is from my ETM, not personal experience.  I have
found errors in the ETM in the past, so if things don't jive, well,
sorry.  Good luck.

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e