Wheel Cleaners

I need some help/advise on wheel cleaners. Here in Western N.C.. we're
in the middle of a drought & water restrictions. Can't wash the cars at
home, water the plants, etc. Needless to say, my wife's BMW's
Cross-spoke alloy wheels are coated black from brake dust. I finally
took it down to the car wash(I know, can't wash at home but allowed to
use the car wash, doesn't make much sense). Now the black grim doesn't
want to come very easy...Almost as if it gets wet from ant light rain,
it wants to stick to the wheels like glue. I tried Simple green, 50/50
mix which took most of it off, but not in the spoke area. Even using a
Wool type spoke brush doesn't get it all off. Once I get it cleaned, is
there a coating of some type that any of you guy's have used to prevent
this stuff from "attacking" the wheel finish. Some thing easy. I dread
the thought of waxing these things. What's a good cleaner that won't eat
up the finish? Personally, the purple stuff is too harsh.
TIA,

Richard Vaughn
BMW CCA #132931 Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i