E30 318 performance engine mod's

I have an '84 318i high-miler that is currently off the road.  This is about
to become a project car and I would like to know the best source of info on
engine modifications to bring this up to 2.0 or greater for fun street
driving.  I am not trying to make an M3 out of it but more a 3003.  I would
like to keep the fuel system, but increase the engine dispalcement, and
consider other modest performance improvements, possibly turbocharger.  Anyone
with some experience like to give me some suggestions?
Thanks
Peter