Re: Lets compare selector rod pin deltas with & without the ERK

In a message dated 11/26/98 12:22:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, always_coca-
cola@domain.elided writes:

<< 1) The ERK is *only* designed for M-Roadster or UUC Motorwerks Level 3 (M3
 Level 2) shifters.  We do not recommend the ERK with any other shifters, we
 do not sell it for any other shifters, we say "use the ERK only with Level
 3/M-Roadster shifters."  The ERK is not designed to be used with other
 shifters at all.  In your post, you show that you have tested the ERK with
 other shifters and provide that data table... the numbers that look better
 than stock are only with the M-Roadster shifter.   Showing the data with
 non-recommended parts combinations infers that UUC Motorwerks recommends the
 ERK with those shifters - we do not.  It is damaging to UUC Motorwerks'
 reputation of producing properly engineered parts to suggest that we
 recommend such obvious mismatches.
the chart, you will see why the ERK is only recommended when installing the
Z3-M shift lever in your ti."
Also note the asterisk next to the Z3-M in the chart.  It's obvious from the
chart data that using the ERK with the M-Z3 shift lever is the only option.
At least it was to me.  I'll try to be clearer in my future posts.
 2) In your post, you said "the disadvantage of the ERK with the Z3-M shift
 lever is... the fact that it raises the shift lever ~one inch compared to
 non-ERK."  This is not accurate in terms of the total upgrade.  I hear that
 question about height from people considering an ERK, and your post further
 confused the issue... the M-Roadster/Level 3 lever is 20mm shorter than a
 stock lever from any E36 3-series.  The ERK raises the lever 25mm, bringing
 the entire shifter assembly to just 5mm higher than the stock lever.  This
 is nowhere near one inch and is hardly noticeable.  Again, that kind of
 confusing information affects the enthusiast's perceptions and ultimate
 decision.

of my post was that not ERKing a ti is a viable option when using the M-Z3
shift lever.  The selector rod pins are more in line and the top of the ~3/4
inch shorter M-Z3 shift lever is one inch lower than with the ERK.  Without
the ERK the M-Z3 lever is ~3/4 inch lower than stock.  With the ERK the M-Z3
lever is ~ 1/4 inch taller than stock which is a delta of 1 inch.  The
disadvantage is that you have to bend the selector rod to establish clearance
with the driveshaft vibration dampener on my '97 ti.  Correctly bending the
selector rod is relatively easy to do with no special tools.  Before I made my
selector rod bending tool Alan and I bent the first one in a vise with a pipe
wrench.  We prevented marring of the selector rod with copper flashing in the
vise and on the rod where we grabbed it with the pipe wrench.

 RonStygar@domain.elided  FLY BMW  Marlborough, CT
  http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_ronstygar.html