Subject: Double Valve Springs?

<< Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:28:34 +0800
 From: Brandon Ong <ong2jr@domain.elided>

 Pardon my ignorence but what's the different between our regular valve
 springs and 'Double Valve Springs"?  Surely it doesn't mean just putting two
 valve springs instead of one...but then maybe......  Does that make
 horsepower?

 Regards,
 Brandon
 Singapore
 95' 320i Cabrio >>

No,  that takes horsepower.  The idea is to put a valve spring inside the
outer valve spring to increase the preasure to close the valve.  Another way
(on some engines) is to use tapered springs \ / so they're bigger at the valve
retainer than they are at the cylinder head.  It's long past time to get rid
of valve springs altogether in favor of a more efficient system. Part of the
problem with valve springs is that the inertia of the spring requires it to be
strong enough to revese it's own direction.

Christopher