<E28> PS Filter

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!  In honor of this day I decided it was time to finally try
the turkey baster approach to replacing the power steering filter in my 84
528e.  I had so many responses to my question on replacing it I thought for
sure I was ready.  Well, I opened the reservoir, sucked out the fluid, and
prepared to remove the clip, filter cover, the other clip, and finally the
filter.  It turned out the filter was different than any clip i had seen
before, but I managed to remove it and the cover.  It turns out the cover and
filter are bigger than the opening in the reservoir and the whole unit is in
one piece!  Am I a complete moron, or am I missing something (the first part
of this question is purely rhetorical)?  It appears I have to replace the
entire reservoir.  Does this sound right?

Bill Klingbeil
BMWCCA 160195