E39 528i driving impressions

I drove a 528i (with an automatic) for a couple of days while my 328i
(manual) was at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo for servicing (they were great,
by the way) so I can take a stab at a 3er vs 5er comparison.  I did a mix
of city and freeway driving.  Here are my impressions:

The 5er is a very refined car -- clearly quieter inside than my 328i
(though not yet Lexus LS400 quiet).  The stiff frame really really
insulates you from bumps and I was able to take bumpy downtown S.F. roads
much more quickly and comfortably.  That being said, the suspension tuning
is clearly softer, getting a bit floaty (for me) on wavy pavement on the
freeway (my 3er has the base suspension, not the sport package).  But, it
maintained good control throughout.  It just didn't feel nimble.  But it
had clearly better control than, say, an Infiniti J30 (which I had driven
before and really didn't like).

The 5er had pretty good power around town, and had surprising torque when
accelerating from a stop (it could set you back in the seat).  On the
freeway, at 60mph and higher, it lost its sparkle.  While it had more than
enough power to keep up with fast traffic and easily hit 95mph during brief
open stretches, and achieve surprising speed at the end of highway passing
maneuvers, acceleration wasn't spirited.  The engine, by the way, had a
deeper, more sophisticated growl in the 5er than the same engine does in my
3er.  Actually, all you hear of the 2.8L in the 5er is an expensive
sounding growl, whereas in my 3er the sound is diluted by whishing from the
fan, general engine clatter, etc. as well.  I think that the 528i
(automatic) goes from 0-60mph in about 8 seconds, and does the 1/4 mile in
the 16 second range.  Keep in mind that my performance impressions may be
colored by the fact that I'm used to my 328i which does 0-60 in the low 6
second range and the 1/4 mile in the low 15s (based on magazine articles).

The 5er had good space inside, clearly wider than a 3er (something I had to
keep in mind when I was making turns).  For me, I kinda like the way the
door panel and center armrest are so close to your sides in the 3er (I
really like the cockpit feel) but if you like more space you'll love the
5er.  The intrument panel of the 5er has larger gauges and seems further
away on the 5er so I had to stretch a bit to turn on the lights, play with
the stereo and climate control.  That being said, the 528i has controls for
the radio and cruise control on the steering wheel.

My biggest complaint about the 528i concerns the stereo (which means that
everything else is pretty good!).  I expected it to sound better than the
one in my 328i.  I don't think it did.  Clarity was decent for a
stocksystem, but I couldn't detect a front soundstage.  There is a tweeter
on each of the rear doors, a few inches behind of your ear if you're in the
front seat.  Given that the front tweeters are also door mounted, it seems
like the soundstage is to your side!  I didn't get a chance to play too
much with the balance and fader controls (balance was centered, fader was
biased +2 towards the front) but my guess is that you'd have to have to
fade way front and shift the balance way to the right of the car to
approach a front soundstage for the driver.  At that point, the front
passenger will have all the sound coming from his/her right.  If this is
more detail about stereos than you care for, then don't worry about it.
Most people are satisfied with the stock stereo, which is easy to use and
has decent clarity.  (Keep in mind that I have audiophile tendencies).

In summary, if you want a more spacious, more refined car, the 528i is
great.  The back seat, by the way, is very usable.  The car had a calming
effect on me (though by no means did it put me to sleep).  I think it could
be for me a few years down the road for an everyday street car (ideally
with the sport suspension and a JimC chip, but they wouldn't be essential).
  If you're doing a lot of city driving (as I would imagine in Singapore) a
stock 528i will be great.  A friend of mine has a 523i in Manila (where
driving conditions are somewhat similar) and just loves it to death.  Even
with 4 people on board, it has more than enough torque to drive around
without straining and coddle driver and passengers from the heat, noise and
bumpy roads outside.  A 528i would be even better. . . . . .

Well, that's what I can think of.  If you have any further questions, feel
free to email me.

Cheers,

Jay Sala
BMW CCA 149421, Golden Gate Chapter
328i
growing list of mods .  . . . . .    :)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:05:03 +0800
> From: Brandon Ong <ong2jr@domain.elided>
> Subject: E39 528i
>
>         Could anyone here enlighten me about their experiences, comments,
> opinions on the E39 528i?  I am thinking of trading my 3er cabrio for the
> 5er.  Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Brandon
> Singapore